Monday, May 01, 2006

may day flowers

blind_cherry2

It should come as no surprise that I am a little obsessed with chilhood. Most of the art that I am currently working on is connected to the visual language of childhood.

I have spent a fair amount of time making art with kids. I am reluctant to call it teaching, as really your job around kids is to create an atmosphere of safety, where they can create work as much outside of judgement as possible. Little do they realize that never again will they be able to create art with such freedom, honesty, and abandon.

Oh how I envy them, the quality of their line, the energy of their markmaking. Most of the best art I have seen (2-D) has been created by children.

One of my favorite drawing activities to force children to do (they are often reluctant to give it a try) is blind contour drawing. You give them some objects and some india ink and a brush, and you instruct them to draw the outline of the object without looking at their paper. They moan and groan but damn if they don't make some stunningly beautiful drawings.

So I have been thinking for awhile maybe I should make a series of my own blind drawings. Only I will think of a drawing in my head and create it without looking, or look at a photo and recreate the photo without looking. I finally gave it a go today here is the photo I worked from (sorry it sucks, it is a photo of a photo) Below it is the blind drawing.

cherry_photo

blind_cherry1

I'm not sure where this is going yet, but I'm really loving letting go of the control that I tend to assert over my drawing and painting. It is actually easier for me to make something that is very controlled, lets hear it for freedom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home